Monday, January 24, 2011

LOL... Lots Of Love

Texting on a keyboard phoneImage via WikipediaI have a friend who recently got into texting on her new iphone.  She is a very caring and social person so once she discovered how easily she could share with family and friends by texting, she was hooked.  She sent  a lot of text messages to a lot of people.  One day her son said to her, "Mom, why did you send me this text message?  What's so funny about this?"  She was confused..."Funny?  I didn't think it was funny,"  she replied, "I was sending you lots of love, you know...LOL"   Her son had to explain to her that LOL stands for LAUGH OUT LOUD, not LOTS OF LOVE!  Then she started thinking about all the people she had sent that message to... "Sorry you're sick...LOL."   "Having a bad day?  I'm so sorry...LOL."  Just use your imagination here to consider all the possiblities...

Have you ever had an epiphany like that?  A sudden realization that the way you perceived things wasn't really reality at all? Or maybe just a new perception of the world and how you've been living?  One of the best books I've read recently has been Donald Miller's book,  A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.  In the book he asks the simple question, "Are you living a good story?"  Inspirational leaders have been asking this same question for years, although maybe not by using those same words.  But I found that thinking about my life in the same way that I might think about writing a story has had a very transforming effect on me.  Perhaps it is the  writer in me coming out, but thinking about my life in the context of a story causes me to recognize the intentionality of my actions and the power of control that I have.  It highlights choices rather than chance.  It encourages me to live my life rather than allowing my life to live me.  What about you?  Are you living a good story?  If not, what can you do to change the plot, the characters, the setting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment