Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mission Control Is Calling

Once you begin to identify your dream, the next step is to write a mission statement.  Perhaps you've been a part of a team or a committee at work that wrote a mission statement.  Perhaps that was such an agonizing experience, you swore you'd never do it again.  Perhaps you don't really see the point of a mission statement because once it is identified, it is quickly forgotten and relegated to a plaque in the employee break room. Perhaps the language of the mission statement is too philosophical and too idealistic for you to really relate to.  Perhaps you just feel like you don't have time, you'd just as soon get on with the show. Wonder how I read your mind?  I've said all these things and more about mission statements.

Recently however, I facilitated a  48 Days to the Work You Love class and through that class I somehow forced myself to write a mission statement.  It is not an understatement to say that having that mission statement has changed my life.  It has given it focus and helped me to recognize my purpose.   If you know your mission, you can respond to priorities in your life rather than circumstances.  You can say no with confidence to those things that are not congruent with your mission statement and yes with enthusiasm to those things that will enhance your mission statement. Having a mission statement is the first step to taking control over your life and moving toward living your dream.  It did it for me. It can do the same thing for you.

Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose.
-Victor Frankl

No comments:

Post a Comment