Monday, June 28, 2010

Boston In Two More Days!

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.  Susan Sontag

A week ago I was in Nashville attending the Write to the Bank seminar with Dan Miller and in two days I leave for Boston to attend a few sessions of the ASCA which is the American School Counselor Conference.  I have never been to Boston before and from what I hear from all my friends, it is well worth the trip.  I have been getting advice on things to do and places to see.  It sounds fantastic and I am really looking forward to it. 

Having spent the last three summers traveling with forty plus high school students through Europe for weeks at a time, a four day trip to a major city in the United States where I know the language, the culture and the history, is a breeze.  There is no keeping up with 10 or more other passports not to mention the bodies that go with them, no particular schedule to keep, reservations to make on time, lost items to retrieve, or hurt feelings to console.  Do you think I miss this?  NO!  I love the travel but not the hassle.  Don't get me wrong, the trips in themselves were great and well planned.  Most of the students were awesome and the places we visited will be lasting memories.   But the overwhelming responsibility for the students on the trip....I don't miss that at all.  There are actually moments this summer when I have a vague anxious uneasy feeling about something I know I should be doing and then remind myself that I am living a casual stress free summer where I am responsible only for myself.  What a relief!  Part of determining your passion and purpose in life is weeding out those things that don't really fit your personality, talents and strengths and then going for it.  Boston here I come!

A journey is like marriage.  The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. 
John Steinbeck, Travels With Charley

No comments:

Post a Comment