Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hocus Pocus, Now Let's Focus

I've had this idea for quite some time to write about being focused.  It hasn't happened so I guess I haven't been very focused about it.  It came up last week in a Bible study that I attend.  The question was: Why is it so easy for women to lose their focus?  Initially we discussed the many distractions we all allow in our lives and the nature of women to be relationship oriented which certainly can lead to a lack of focus.  This is discussed in the excellent book, Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti: Understanding and Delighting in Your Differences by  Bill Farrel.  But all these ideas to me seem like symptoms of the problem not actually the problem.  I think ultimately we are unfocused because we are not clear on what our mission is.  In order to be focused, you must be clear about what to focus on.  This is different from having a goal, like finding a new job or surviving your child's teenage years, for instance.  A mission is the theme or purpose of your life.  Once you have identified and clarified your mission, it's like putting on glasses after years of not seeing things clearly. The world is a very different place.

Discovering your mission is a key part of many programs but the one that ultimately helped (I might actually say, FORCED)  me to define my mission was teaching the class, 48 Days to the Work You Love: An Interactive Study with CD (Audio) .   A mission statement is a key part of this program and I can say with confidence that defining it has  changed my world.  Wondering what my mission is?  I'll give you a hint, part of it is found in the  title of this blog page...What about you?  Are you focused?  If not, is it because you need to discover you mission?

Where there is no vision, the people perish.  Proverbs 29:18

No comments:

Post a Comment