Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Day of Rest and Rejuvenation

It is Sunday afternoon and I am trying to follow the good advice of everyone from God to the last book I read on personal time management and have one day where I am not driven to accomplish anything but instead I rest and rejuvenate. This is always on my list of goals but I rarely achieve even an hour of rejuvenation never mind a whole day. The best I have accomplished (and this really has become a habit on the weekdays) is 30 minutes of devotional reading each morning before work. I definitely miss this when it doesn't happen. Not only does it refresh me and give me focus but it starts the day in a very positive contemplative way. The next step is to rescue Sunday from the hectic, "what have I left undone from the week and what do I need to do to get ready for next week" mentality. It has become the catch-up day and although I may take it slow, it still is not a day of rest and revival. A recent good book I read on personal time management: Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy has a chapter on getting out of technological time sinks and one of his recommendations at the end of the chapter is: Resolve to take one full day off each week during which you do not touch your computer, check your Blackberry or make any attempt to keep in touch with the world of technology. See what I mean? God had it right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment