Thursday, September 10, 2009

Charlie Brown's Deck Chair

I read this in a book yesterday and I have been chuckling about it ever since. It has me wanting to get a book of Charlie Brown comic strips because I really think Schultz was a genius at bringing philosophical concepts down to everyday life. In this strip, Lucy says to Charlie, "You know, Charlie, life is like a deck chair. Some people place their deck chair so they can see where they're going. Some turn it around to see where they've been. Others, Charlie, place their deck chair right in the middle of the action to see what's going on all around them. Charlie sighs and says, "I'm just trying to get mine unfolded." What an astute observation and don't you just get a mental picture of all these chairs facing every which way and then there are all the folks trying to get theirs open. The next question of course is where are you in the picture? For me, I think my chair is unfolded, but I'm trying to face it in a new direction altogether. To do that, I may have folded it back up a bit to re-evaluate the scenery and not start over but rather add to and further develop what I already know and do. This to me is what the 48 days to the work you love program is all about. Expanding the view, building on the past and reaching with excitement and anticipation toward the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment