Generosity and gratitude have come a popular topic in recent years and I teach several lessons on generosity in my role as a guidance counselor at a school. One of my favorite stories about gratitude comes from a teacher who told me about a student in her classroom. "He is such a wonderful and polite boy," she said. "Every day when he leaves my class he says, 'Thank you for teaching me today." That student is always a reminder to me to express my gratitude to others in my life on a regular basis.
The Story Behind Wyatt the Wonder Dog Learns about Giving
In a society where a feeling of entitlement is commonplace, it is refreshing to meet children and adults who express gratitude and generosity. When I began writing the story, Wyatt the Wonder Dog Learns about Giving, I wanted to help children understand the power of being generous and giving, no matter one's age or economic status. Some of the most generous people are not necessarily the wealthiest. Mother Teresa or Nelson Mandela are examples of people who have given their lives in service to others.
When Wyatt's story begins, he is concerned about how long he has to wait until Christmas and what gifts he will receive. However, by the end of the story, Wyatt understands that his ability to be giving to others is a more important concern. It really is more blessed to give than to receive!
My Gratitude List
What if we all made sure to notice the people in our lives and thanked them for their contributions, everyday? What if everyday we made sure to notice the many blessings in our lives and thanked God for the abundant life we have? I think this is a life changing concept. Firstly, it encourages those around us. Secondly, this positive attitude on our part is actually encouraging to the giver as well as the receiver. An attitude of gratitude not only empowers those that we thank, but it also changes us. When we are grateful and express that, it changes our focus. We develop a positive attitude. We are strengthened and motivated. We are encouraged.
There are many people that I appreciate in my life and here are just a few:
- Wyatt's creative layout editor: Sammy Sudbury. He puts up with constant changes and additions without a single complaint!! AND he does a fabulous job..
- Wyatt's illustrator, Pam Gardner. Every book we do together is more creative and imaginative. I am in awe of her vision and talent.
- Neil Scott-Barbour, the British Voice Talent who volunteered his time to read the latest Wyatt story and produce a professional audio for the latest book. He is amazing!
- Andy Traub who taught an amazing class on self-publishing and marketing. I learned so much!
- The Wyatt Insiders' group that provided me with great feedback during the publishing of the book.
- Friends and family who provide support and encouragement always.
- YOU-my faithful readers!
Wyatt Learns about Giving is Loaded with Bonuses!
I hope you will consider purchasing Wyatt the Wonder Dog Learns about Giving for the children in your life. Each copy comes loaded with bonuses! There is a free audio download of the story read by British Voice Talent, Neil Scott-Barbour. Other bonuses include:
- A discussion guide
- A coloring sheet for the kiddos
- Directions for how to make a Christmas countdown paper chain
- A template for a Christmas coupon book
- A lesson plan for the educator
Finally, if you purchase the book between Sunday, October 23rd through Sunday, November 3, the price is discounted on Amazon for both the book and the kindle format. Many thanks!!
Like this post? Share on Facebook and Twitter!