Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Where Are You Going? Developing Your GPS System


I have no sense of direction.  This has been an issue for me my entire life.  I could tell you story after story of getting lost and winding up in the wrong location altogether.  Once I got on a bus going the wrong way and my mother had to come and pick  me up at a far away bus stop when I was supposed to be traveling closer to her.  Once, recently mind you, I left a Halloween party and drove for at least 45 minutes just trying to get out of the neighborhood and find the main road. Once I was headed to North Carolina and wound up (I'm not making this up) in Tennessee.  Of course the states are rather close together...aren't they?  I used to wish that someone would invent a device that could talk to me while I was driving and give me the correct directions.  I guess someone else had the same dream because--- voila!  Now there is the greatest invention ever called the GPS.  I've wanted one for a long time but only recently found the money in my budget to purchase one.  After years of getting lost and discovering new destinations that I didn't even know existed and didn't know I wanted to find, I can now get to where I want to go without mistakes.

This issue of having direction applies to our lives in more ways than just traveling.  Most of us travel through the days of our lives without giving much thought to the direction we are going in, never mind the destination we hope to arrive at. Recently, I have been trying to program my life GPS system to  guide me in the direction of my life goals.  In order to get a start on this, I spent 3 days last week attending a Speaker's Bootcamp, put on by the nationally known speaker, Kent Julian.  It was an awesome, inspiring seminar full of practical information about launching a speaking career.  Now if I can just listen to my internal GPS and put that information into practice, I should be able to arrive at my destination without taking a detour through the wrong state...

If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.
--David Campbell



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment