Monday, September 7, 2009

Learning to be a blogger

This is a new experience for me as I begin a blog to record what I am learning about expanding my career options which of course impacts my financial resources. It all began when I took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program last year about this time. I learned so much about how to manage finances and felt so empowered by his techniques, that I began listening regularly to Dave Ramsey on the radio. At first I was just trying to learn how he advised people about various financial issues. Of course some of their issues were similar to mine and it was almost like getting a personal counseling session. As I got the hang of managing finances and it became more routine, I began listening and enjoying his conversations with people who called in asking for help with employment or managing a small business. He often mentions Dan Miller and his book, 48 Days to the Work You Love, so I checked it out of the library and read it. It is such an encouraging book and it challenges you to expand the concept of work to new levels. Soon I began thinking about how to expand my own career. One thing I love about being a school counselor is that much of the job is defined by ME! I had already used my experience with teaching small children as inspiration to write several stories. I wrote to Dan on his radio podcast for advice on how to publish these stories. I was thrilled when he chose my question to respond to on his podcast and felt excited by advice. I am now in the process of putting his ideas to work. I am also 2 weeks away from facilitating a 48 Days to the Work You Love class at church and I am quite encouraged by the response. My plan is to use the structure of the program to set and work on my goals while encouraging others. It is all quite exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment